Thursday, May 1, 2008

Trouble in the skies?

I just had one of the most annoying and upsetting phone calls of my life. Actually, there were four phone calls and all of them were to an american airline.

The issue? On my upcoming trip, there were two flights that didn't have a seat assignment for me and I was super worried that I would be left at the gate, on stand by. I've seen those sad people in the airport and I don't intent to become one myself!

So I set about calling customer service and was met with the cheerful voice of an automated system with the promise that if I just chose the right selection, all my problems would be fixed.  Ha.

I went through the automated system once, confirming my flight when all I really needed to do is to get seats for those two flights.  The best part? The automated system hung up on me at the end!

Then I tried another number only to find out that it was only the flight information (when it was arriving, departing, wether or not it was on time, etc).

So then I tried another customer service number that ended up only being for post-flight complaints.

It was back to the original number and I tried to be smart and say 'agent' right away. But was forced to go through the whole routine all over again, despite that I had requested an agent to talk to and that the system had acknowledged it with the statement "You have indicated you would like to speak with an agent". I hung up.

I called back and decided to hit the automated system with 'agent' each time I could. It turns out that the magical combination is to give the system a bit of info (flight number, confirmation number, ect) but then at the last minute, to say 'agent' again less you be told all of the flight information and then be hung up on.

I was able to talk to a very nice lady who sorted the whole seating issue out for me, but I do wonder if she ever gets to talk to anyone!

I understand the efficiency of having an automated system to help route your calls, but companies need to understand that their customers will eventually need to talk to a person because there is only so much an automated system can help them with.  And when that eventuality comes to pass, the user shouldn't have to try to out smart the system to get to talk to a person.  

No comments: