Sunday, March 9, 2008

Apple

I'm attending a 'basics' presentation at a local Apple store this
morning (I'm serving as moral support). The presentation today deals
with what to do after you take your computer out of the box. It's genius
really. And it make me think about how much user research Apple must go
through on an hourly basis.

They've clearly discovered that they are getting users who have not
grown up in the cult of Mac--now they offer a 1 on 1 service which
basically (for $99) gives you access (for 56 sessions) to a Mac tutor. I
wonder, does this herald the end of the manual? They don't ship
computers with them anymore (mostly because there's help to use) and
users who want to push the limits, head to the internet to find out the
top tricks of the trade.

I also got a chuckle out of the instructor's phrasing "See, the use both
Windows terminology and eveyday language". Lol That's clasic cult of
Mac speak. Now, don't get me wrong--I have no problem using either a Mac
or PC, but I am constantly amazed at how passionate users of both
systems are about defending their system of choice.

Leopard seems very sleek and shiny but it also belies a high level of
user focus. There are widget helpers that, once you search for a
function in applications, highlights the application that will help you
to complete the task you need to. Genius! There is no longer a need to
click randomly and hope you guessed the right program!

Another thing they showed was how to change the desktop background.
Simple stuff until he told us that you can set the background to change
every so often. Not a screen saver, but as you are working on the
computer, the desktp would change! I wonder what the user profile for
that feature looks like...

No comments: