Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The PIN Pad--simple device or IQ test?

Have you ever wandered through a store, carefully picked out the items you wished to purchase, waited in line for at least 15 minutes and then, when the time came to pay for your purchases, did you feel like this was your first time?


I can't remember the last time I wrote a check that didn't get mailed off or used cash to pay for anything that didn't come out of a vending machine, so I'm pretty well-versed in using my debit and credit cards to purchase things when I'm shopping.


However, the terminals that stores choose to make available to their customers who wish to pay with credit or debit are often a prime example of usability missing in action. The biggest tip-off that consumers are having issues using the terminal is the red "YES" that some stores have placed over the green button on the number pad.
My personal favorite is the terminals that Safeway uses. These require me to first swipe my Safeway Club Card (if I want any discounts) then I have to select 'debit or credit', swipe my card of choice, enter my PIN, and then choose if I want 'cash back' (and if so, how much). The only confirmation that I have that I've completed my transaction successfully is the cashier handing me the receipt. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't require me to have both cards out at the same time, use the pen attachment to make my selections on the UI and do it at a fast enough pace so I don't have to hear the 'beep beep' that signals someone is taking too long to make a choice.
To top this off, each store has a different system. Some want you to swipe your card at any time, some you can't swipe until the cashier says you can--and all have different keypad configurations. The best, or should I say worst, keypad I've run in to is at Pier 1. This interface is completely touch (there's no pen to use) but, without being able to hear a confirmation sound or feel the sensation of pushing a button down, it's hard to tell which button you've pressed, and with your PIN showing up as '****', I just chose 'enter' and hoped for the best! Not exactly a way to inspire confidence in your customers...
I would love to work on designing one interface that all stores could use and from my observations, it should have the following characteristics:
1. Give the user feedback about their actions. Either have a tactile sensation (such as pusing a button) or a screen that changes to reflect what the user has done.
2. Adhere to these steps: swipe card, enter PIN, choose 'cash back' amount, confirmation screen and/or sign (if using credit)
3. Have a screen that is big enough for people who have trouble reading to see without too much trouble
4. Be located in a spot that doesn't have glaring light shining on the screen and at a height that all customers can use comfortably (or at least be on a stand that allows for adjustment for these factors)
5. Have the same set of buttons: numeric keypad in familiar 10-key configuration, green 'yes' button, red 'no button, blue 'enter' button.
6. Have a clearly labeled description of how your card is supposed to be swiped--allowing for both 'left to right' and 'right to left' (or 'top to bottom' and 'bottom to top') actions.
Until then, maybe I'll start writing more checks...


No comments: